We collect information about you in three different ways.
- Information You Provide to Us.
- Information We Collect Automatically When You Use the Services.
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, when you apply for government benefits or fill out forms, such as when you check availability for student financial aid, apply for student financial aid using our tools, apply for an employer identification number, apply for a social security card, or use any of our services, we collect all information needed for that application, including your name, address, phone number, social security number, alien registration number, tax identification number, citizenship or visa status, family member and household information, including household income, username and password, educational institutions of your interest, structure or type of your business or organization, business address, reasons for application, employee information, and other information you choose to provide. We also collect information when you create an account, fill out any other form or application, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with us.
When you access or use our Services, we automatically collect information about your use of the Services, the movements of your mouse, and your keystrokes to help understand what our users are looking for and how they interact with our Services.
We also automatically collect the following types of information:
- Usage Information: We log information about your use of the Services, such as features and applications you visit and use.
- Log Information: We log information about your use of our websites, including your browser type and language, access times, pages viewed, your IP address, operating system and version, and the website you visited before navigating to our websites.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: We and our service providers use various technologies to collect information, including cookies and web beacons. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that helps us to improve our Services and your experience, see which areas and features of our Services are popular and count visits. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used on our website or in our emails that help deliver cookies, count visits, and understand usage. For more information about cookies, and how to disable them, please see “Your Choices” below.
We may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through our Services. For example, when you apply for financial aid, you authorize us to retrieve certain information from the IRS, and we may supplement the information you provide directly with the information provided by the IRS or Dept. of Education. We may also collect information about you from other third parties, including, but not limited to, publicly available sources.
We use the information we collect primarily to determine your eligibility for government benefits or services, and to help you apply for such services. We may use information about you for various other purposes, including to: Provide and deliver the services you request, process forms, and send you related information, including post-submission summaries, confirmations, and receipts; Maintain and improve our Services; Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support, and administrative messages; Respond to your comments, questions and requests, and provide customer service; Communicate with you about products, services, and events offered by Citizen, our affiliates or subsidiaries, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you; Administer surveys and events, such as focus groups; Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Services; Personalize and improve the Services and provide content, or features that match aggregate user behavior; Detect, investigate, and prevent fraudulent and other illegal activities, and protect the rights and property of Citizen and others; and Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
The purpose of our service is to enable sharing of the information you provide with various government agencies and other entities at your direction. For example, we may share information with the Department of Education, Internal Revenue Service, State Departments of Revenues, educational institutions, and other entities to help determine your eligibility for financial aid and to apply for such aid or to obtain other government benefits or services. Accordingly, we share information with applicable government agencies and educational institutions at your request. By using the Services, you consent to these uses of your personal information.
- With our parent company, Citizen Holdings LLC, and our corporate affiliates;
- With vendors, consultants and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf, including analyzing data trends within our Services;
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with any applicable law, regulation, or legal process, or as otherwise required by any applicable law, rule, or regulation;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with the spirit or language of our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of Citizen or others, including employers that use our Services;
- To process payments you make in connection with the Services;
- With our partners when providing a new or integrated feature;
- If you ask us to introduce you to one of our partners;
- With your consent or at your direction, including but not limited to if we notify you through our Services that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information; and
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company.
We may also share aggregated or anonymized information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
We do not share information about you with third parties for their own marketing or business purposes without your consent.
Citizen takes reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction.
Account Information. It is your responsibility for maintaining the accuracy of your account. You may update, correct, or delete information about you at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also deactivate your account by emailing customer service at email@example.com. Any changes you make to your account will impact the scope and type of services we can provide to you. Note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes for a reasonable period of time. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you.
Cookies. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
Promotional Communications. You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from Citizen by following the instructions in those emails. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
Governing Law; Arbitration.